incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <>
Subject Re: We're on slashdot!
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 07:36:01 GMT
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Shane Curcuru <> wrote:
> And I'm on El Reg!
> Hope I did OK in the interview.  At least I got a good closing quote, even
> if it was a little tweaked in the story.

Perhaps in

"The ASF ... said that there was no need for additional donations"

we should have been more compassionate.

AIUI the business model used by TDF and TeamOOo requires donations.
Statements like this damage our relationship with potential downstream
consumers, and risk reducing ecological diversity.

A key goal should be to encourage the development of a rich and deep
office office ecosystem. I would feel much more comfortable adopting
the position that "Apache does not need or use cash donations to fund
development but encourages exciting and innovative downstream efforts
of all kinds and understands that some not-for-profit players need
donations right away to get keep hacking".

But maybe some good could come out of this. Why not get together to
release a statement clarifying who needs donations right now, why and
what cool stuff they are going to fund with the cash? (Something
positive with as many potential players as possible...)

(Personally, I would love to see the FSF enter the ring with a
downstream GPL GNUberOffice integrating emacs, R, GIMP etc)

View raw message