incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving To Standard Apache Headers [WAS Re: Copyright Notices, Source Headers and Licenses (By Example)]
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:58:26 GMT
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/10/15 Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>:

>> <snip>

>>> yes i agree and i am volunteering to take care of the license header change
>>> based on the final SGA file list.
>>
>> Great :-)
>
> <snip>
>
>> Since I think we have reasonable active consensus about strategy, I'll
>> break out a new thread to discuss tactics
>
> Opinions? Ideas? Known risks? Recommendations?

---

Comprehension is essential for accurate changes. Automated scripts
need to be precisely targeted and changes committed in small enough
batches to allow adequate review by the list.

Do we have anywhere where we record progress and highlight potential issues?

(I see this as auditing, and tend to prefer storing canonical audit
information in version control but I'm comfortable with coordination,
drafts and initial report elsewhere)

---

The tools in Rat are all currently based[1] around categorizing
directory scanners[2]. The aim is to highlight those documents which
don't follow the usual rules so that manual review can be concentrated
on them. A good place to start is by creating scripts to record all
source that is headed by the standard boilerplate highlighted taken as
an earlier example[3].

---

Robert

[1] Ideas for improved ideas welcome :-)
[2] Recipe:
 * Scan recursively every directory in the code base
 * Categorize each resource based on heuristics (such as suffix)
 * Run rules for each category
 * Highlight all exceptions for manual review
[3]
/*************************************************************************
 *
 * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER.
 *
 * Copyright 2000, 2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
 *
 * OpenOffice.org - a multi-platform office productivity suite
 *
 * This file is part of OpenOffice.org.
 *
 * OpenOffice.org is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License version 3
 * only, as published by the Free Software Foundation.
 *
 * OpenOffice.org is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 * GNU Lesser General Public License version 3 for more details
 * (a copy is included in the LICENSE file that accompanied this code).
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
 * version 3 along with OpenOffice.org.  If not, see
 * <http://www.openoffice.org/license.html>
 * for a copy of the LGPLv3 License.
 *