incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re:Working on a project roadmap ...
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:54:43 GMT
I want to make a couple of things clear about ASF projects (I speak with my
mentor hat on but not necessarily for other mentors):

Firstly, the ASF has many years of experience in running successful open
source projects. We even have a few failures to teach us some lessons too.
This produces a raft of "best practices". One should not assume that "best
practice" is unchanging or inflexible.

Secondly, the ASF has very few policies that are "set in stone". There are
some policies relating to due diligence and IP management, but very few
relating to community development. One of the few fixed policies for
community are no benevolent dictators (either individuals or corporations).
No project graduates from the incubator without diversity.

As a mentor I have no interest in encouraging the AOOo community to adopt
policies that do. Reflect the needs and desires of thode.earning merit here.
If one wants this project to operate in a specific way then one
should.demonstrate a willingness to help us build diversity by contributing
constructively.

Don't expect me, or anyone else, to read past reams of point scoring and
posturing based on misinformation, dogma or non-ASF history. I won't do
that. I won't read thousands of such words in order to find the odd nugget
of useful information. I, and I assume almost everyone here, has no time for
that.

In recent weeks we've seen some very constructive work here. It's a shame it
is being drowned by these meaningless and pointless arguments. Lets just
stay constructive, focus on facts and have some fun - please.

Ross