incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:58:52 GMT
On 19 October 2011 14:48, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 October 2011 14:14, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> For example, I still don't know why people feel that the model that
>> works for every other ASF project won't work for AOOo. That model has
>> worked for longer than the OpenOffice.org project has existed in its
>> many forms over the years. What stops it working for AOOo?
>>

> Traditionally the OOo community has been concerned with more than just
> having the infrastructure in place so I assume that there is concern that if
> there are no targeted donations for OOo people will donate less.

All the other Apache projects work just fine with the ASF model. They
need more than just infrastructure too?

Why can't the AOOo ecosystem provide the support the project needs
just as other projects do? Why is it different?

> That seems
> logical to me. What ASF doesn't know is what difference it would make if it
> was possible to target funds on individual projects. Without that data its
> impossible to know.

Whilst it is true that some of us operate in a vacuum here in the ASF
a great many of us are involved with more than one project and more
than one way of funding projects. I think it is fair to say that the
ASF has some understanding of these issues.

I do agree that we've not worked with other models internally, but
there are good reasons for that.

Again, I'm not saying that AOOo has to conform, I'm just trying to
understand why it needs to be different. In a separate exchange about
the CC budgets we see that only 20% of the total budget is completely
outside the scope of the ASF model.

Are we really that different? Or is it just perception?

I get the feeling that much of the difference is how its managed,
nothing more. I'm looking for concrete examples of why this is not the
case.

Ross