incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:14:48 GMT
On 19 October 2011 13:13, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> b) We're not able to say anything to potential contributors about how
> the donations would be used.  All we can say is they will not be used
> for the benefit of any specific project, i.e., the donations cannot be
> targeted.  We probably lose 90% of the donations right there.

Rob, before making statements like that I suggest you find out where
the money goes. The ASF accounts are public, take a look (I'll save
you time, it goes to ensuring that all our projects have the
infrastructure, not development, they need to be successful - they
ask, the ASF provides).

In your statement above you are assuming that any monies donated via
OOo users will be a large proportion of what the ASF receives and thus
"90%" of it will be used for other projects benefit. I seriously doubt
this would be the case.

I have no idea how much money arrives via the OOo donate button, but
then I'm not the one making statements full of such gross assumptions
about the balance and use of ASF funds.

Can we please stick to what we know and, more importantly, what we don't know.

For example, I still don't know why people feel that the model that
works for every other ASF project won't work for AOOo. That model has
worked for longer than the OpenOffice.org project has existed in its
many forms over the years. What stops it working for AOOo?

[and before anyone reacts, that is an open question, please don't read
assumptions about whether I believe the current model works, just
answer the question as best we can]

If it turns out the existing ASF model will not work for AOOo then we
can start looking at new models that will work. If it turns out it
will work then we just have to educate those affected by the change in
model.

Ross