incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Vulnerability fixed in LibreOffice
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 16:26:37 GMT
On 6 October 2011 17:16, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 17:06:36 +0100
> Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6 October 2011 16:53, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>>
>> > Responsible Apache people need to rethink
>> > their insistence on their method to the exclusion of all other
>> > methods.
>>
>> Please read the comments in this thread by an OOo mentor, Shane
>> Curcuru.
>>
>> Please also see the advice and guidance of Dirk, a long time
>> Apache Member.
>>
>> I think you'll find what you are looking for.
>
> With respect, it is not the tone of my_ emails that need
> amelioration, but the blanket insistence from some posters that
> Apache methods must rule always. I have been careful not to
> attribute personal blame in this thread; I make a general comment
> on this tendency of absolute insistence on an Apache way, as it
> seems to me, and as I know from off channel communications, to
> other newcomers

I understand where you are coming from. There is a misunderstanding
about The Apache Way. There are very few things that are fixed in
stone. However, newcomers often rely on written descriptions of common
practice and assume that such a description is "the one true way".

Things like our IP management policies are fixed in stone, but how we
handle security issues are not.

By referring to Shane and Dirks emails I was hoping to demonstrate
that although some people might feel that the security policies are
fixed, they are not. There are ways that work in other projects, but
no other project has had to work across two communities in this way. I
believe this is what prompted Dirk to say, for example, "If this
community decides it wants to do differently - great. We all may learn
something!"

So by suggesting you read those mails again I was not intending to
criticise your observation but provide you with the argument you need
to back your very valid point.

Meanwhile, I see consensus starting to form around the proposal Shane
has extracted from this thread.

Ross