incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 00:03:16 GMT
On Oct 27, 2011 12:37 AM, "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 10/26/2011 11:57 PM, schrieb Peter Pöml:

>> Setting up MirrorBrain would be one way, but it would require
>> replication additional configuration (for instance, download statistics)
>> that we have built on the current download server
>> (download.services.openoffice.org).
>>
>> Another way would be to simply have a virtual machine, where we move the
>> current server to. That would cause the least effort, I guess.
>

> +1 this should be really our goal for now ...

>> Starting from scratch would mean to lose a lot of the previos work --
>> and I really mean lots, which I dare to judge because I spent a lot of
>> time with download.services.openoffice.org.
>>
>> On the other hand, having MirrorBrain at the core of the ASF's mirror
>> system could be interesting for other projects, too. I know closer.cgi
>> but I'm sure that MirrorBrain could serve the ASF well. (Well possible
>> as an addition, rather than a replacement, for a soft transition.)
>> That might outweigh the pain of creating OOo's download service from
>> scratch in a different environment.
>

> ... and this the long term goal.
>
> The ASF can really benefit from this way of downloading software.
Currently you have to choose a mirror, then change to the directory
structure where the respective binary is located and finally download it.

This is not correct. I have no idea if the ASF can benefit from MirrorBrain
or not, but if your justification for such a statement is based on the above
erroneous analysis of the current mirror system then I have my concerns. I
don't want to discuss it now since you indicate this is a long term goal
(search this lists archives if you want to read more on the ASF mirror
system before bringing this to the infra team).

Ross