incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:31:41 GMT
On 19 October 2011 18:21, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> I thought that the previous discussion (on this list, not just ooo-users)
>> arrived
>> at the following:
>>
>>  1. ASF does not accept donations that have strings on how the funds are used.
>
> I've seen this expressed generally stated as "ASF does not...".  I
> have not seen it stated as "ASF may not...".
>
> In fact if you dig around, you find that the ASF Board did approve a
> resolution that allows targeted donations:

> Was this Board resolution -- admittedly quite old -- ever rescinded?

Not to my knowledge, but then neither have we accepted targeted
donations (to my knowledge).

> If not, is there any reason why we could not do something along these
> lines, e.g., request targeted donations, develop a budget, get it
> approved by the Board, etc.?

If, and only if, the AOOo PMC can come up with a strong case as to why
it needs targeted donations. Then we can take it to the board
(probably via the Members to get wider feedback than just the mentors
here). This has nothing to do with the existence of the 1999
resolution you found. It's simply the way the ASF works. We don't
change with the wind, but we are flexible when we need to be.

It is for this reason I keep asking why the current ASF model does not
work. If we take it to the board as a "it's not the way it used to
work" I can pretty much guarantee it will be rejected by the
membership and thus the board.

Ross