incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Is there an org chart of the previous OOo governance(s)?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:18:51 GMT
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Donald Harbison <dpharbison@gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, you can take a look at http://projects.openoffice.org/ ...and see
> the
> structure of work division by project and the names of people who were
> associated with those projects in the past.
>
> There was an Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) where the Sun developer
> staff met with volunteers, but it was largely a Sun/Oracle led affair. See:
> http://council.openoffice.org/esc/
> "The responsibility of the ESC is as follows:
>
>   - Provide advice on technical implementations in case of conflicting
>   interests.
>
> It is not the forum for making technical decisions in general, this remains
> in the responsibility of the project leads.
>
>   -
>
>   Their advice can be overruled by the Community Council."
>
> Since all the project leads were Sun/Oracle employees, the ESC was intended
> to take input, but not necessarily follow it.
>
> TDF evolved it to look like:
>
> http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/05/23/the-document-foundation-announces-the-members-of-the-engineering-steering-committee/
>

> The Community Council charter is here:
> http://council.openoffice.org/councilcharter12.html ...
>
> Juergen Schmidt may be able to provide more insight here when he can catch
> up to the list as he was a member of the CC.

i don't really want to comment on this because of my history. The general
idea and intention of the CC was good but in practise in was never able to
operate or run in the way it should. So let us focus on finding our own new
way...

I am sure that over time we will find a way that is Apache conform and that
will reflect the way how we work here. Some kind of governance will
establish automatically in different areas. We will trust people who have
shown expertise in development and code questions, the same for people who
focus on documentation, on marketing, QA etc. We will simply trust lets call
it working groups and will correct things if necessary or something fails.

Juergen