incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:42:04 GMT
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurgood@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Le 05/10/11 21:07, Mathias Bauer a écrit :
>
> Hi Mathias,
>

> > Of course that would probably mean that our Linux version won't run out
> > of the box on most Linux machines as the old OOo version did. It will
> > run only on those computers that have compatible versions of all
> > libraries installed in their system that were used in the build. That's
> > the price you have to pay.
>
> Indeed, as I recently found out when I built the MysQL Connector
> extension against Ubuntu's mysqlcppconnector library :-/ It appears that
> the extension is not only arch specific, but also dist-version specific,
> at least as far as I can tell from my preliminary investigations. I
> haven't yet tried building with the basic mysql C library, that will be
> my next step.
>
> Dependency hell, here we come :-))

the used baseline for vanilla OOo builds was not bad from this perspective.
Ideally would be if we can reach a point where Linux distros will take the
sources of AOO, build it and include it in their distro directly. A
potential remaining problem will be C++ extensions that are not directly
included or available via the distro specific package manager.

The platform dependency of C++ extensions is one reason why i prefer Java
for extensions. It's much easier to maintain and to distribute via an
extension repository. And the development is also easier because you need
only an office and the SDK.

Juergen