incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:58:52 GMT
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/18/2011 01:29 AM, Ian Lynch wrote:

>>> And still is: http://www.openoffice.nl/
>>>
>>> But then Apache OpenOffice(TM) would get round that. One possibility
>>> would
>>>
>> be to Trademark Apache OpenOffice alongside OpenOffice.org and publicly
>> declare they are referring to the same thing. Gradually replace as many
>> instances of OOo with AOO as is practically possible while the first code
>> release is in preparation. Design logos ready (they don't have to be
>> released immediately but designing them and deciding which to use takes
>> time
>> and we don't want to be rushed into that at the last minute). On the first
>> code release announce the official consolidation to Apache Open Office.
>> Putting things off is not going to help in making a smooth transition and
>> will detract from the impact of that initial release when it happens. It
>> is
>> a marketing event that has to be planned because it is a one off
>> opportunity.
>>
>> John said that everyone now knows that OpenOffice.org is an Apache
>> product.
>> I very much doubt that is true. Most end-users I have talked to have no
>> idea
>> what LibreOffice is, the Document Foundation or Apache. We have to think
>> in
>> terms of consumers with AOO/OOo. Most are not geeks, most don't even know
>> there was a product called Star Office or that Sun was bought by Oracle.
>> This is why marketing is a very different game to developing code.
>>
>> I accept that it might take a while to sort out the best timing to make
>> any
>> trademark changes but we do need to make a decision in principle so
>> everyone
>> can refer consistently to one agreed set of terminology even if it is only
>> for internal use to start with.
>>

> OH boy. Well the discussion is getting complicated.
>
> Consider this--
>
> We ahd agreed to keep the "user facing" web site for Apache OpenOffice.org
>
> as www.openoffice.org
>
> its current DNS name
>
> -- and, as Dennis pointed out, despite the common use of OpenOffice in
> speech, openoffice.org is THE recognizable entity and reference in all
> printed communication.  In previous discussion, it's been repeatedly pointed
> out, that in terms of what's already been developed for "the brand" -- see
> the Marketing Project materials at http://marketing.openoffice.**org/<http://marketing.openoffice.org/>
>
> a change is HUGE headache.
>
> Couple that with recent information about the Apache podling --
> OpenOffice.org -- and I truly feel that a re-branding/trademarking *at this
> stage of development* would not be good, and could potentially be harmful in
> terms of identification.
>
> Shane has suggested the PPMC should deal with this -- fine. And Rob has
> [...]
+1, well summarized

and i would like to add some point. We have a widely accepted brand name
OpenOffice.org and the trademark is also owned by the ASF. And registering a
new worldwide trademark is quite expensive, so why should we do that at the
moment?

I would much more prefer if more people would concentrate on the real work
that we have to achieve at the moment. That is first working on a first
release as soon as possible to send out a signal to our users that OOo is a
healthy project. Second achieve the transition of form a community
perspective necessary services like the forum, the wiki, the extension and
template repo and the web page as main entrance for our existing as well as
new users.

When we have a running and working project and nothing to do else we can
again think about a rebrand. And if we decide to do that it becomes
hopefully more successful than renaming a stoc symbol SUN to JAVA ;-)

Juergen