incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Nelson Marques <nmo.marq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 18:02:23 GMT
Hi all,

I'm mainly a lurker and I don't really want to add/take anything that
was previously said before, neither this is my playground, and for me
most I'm just another theorical (my academical formation is actually
on marketing management), but I felt like leaving a few words:

* The auto industry is very unique and they make unique
interpretations (that are not shared by mainstream marketing) about
the concepts of: model, line and series. Though they spend loads of
millions in marketing and have some of the best brilliant
professionals, they also waste hundreds of millions every year, mainly
with product cultural adaptation, some of the most known examples are
maybe:
 - Chevy Nova (for Spanish speaking audiences);
 - Mazda MR2 (for French speaking audiences);
 - Citroen Picasso (for Brazilian audiences);
 - etc etc etc
But there's a few nice examples we can take from the auto industry:
 - From Audi, we can take a lesson on how to establish a good brand.
The 4 ring logo from Audi is one of the most recognizable brands
worldwide, zero cultural conflicts.

* Rebranding: this is most likely the riskier operation marketing can
do. I think people are complicating maybe too much, because you don't
need to build an entire brand from scratch, in fact most of the
aspects will be inherited from the Apache Umbrella (right ?).
Furthermore, the notoriety and visibility of OpenOffice.org is strong
enough. I'm sure this will be a very simple task if you consider the
Apache Umbrella. IF this was MY own playground, I wouldn't rush for a
rebranding project (not the whole design) without having first at
least a service plan from engineering and marketing to support a
roadmap and collect some info from users and everyone else who is
commited to OpenOffice.org.

This are maybe the topics I suggest people to start working on, the
same I presented to openSUSE Community during openSUSE Conference 2010
(slides are here[1]):

- Analysis/Auditing > Where is AOO ?
- Objectives > Where does AAO wants to go ?
- Strategies > What is the best way to get there ?
- Tactics > How do we actually get there ?
- Implementation > Getting there!
- Control > Ensure a good arrival

My suggestion is to find clear answers for those, and debate/know all
potential ways. Feel free to take a look into my slides, as they might
have other nice things you might want to take look at, like the "value
for users" and others.

I hope this helps somehow everyone around in finding the best route for AAO.

All the best,
NM

[1] - http://conference.opensuse.org/indico//contributionDisplay.py?contribId=41&sessionId=25&confId=0

--