incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Process for deciding on branding strategy for our first release
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:07:23 GMT
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> Looking at the dev work that remains, I think we need to move forward
> on this with deliberate speed.  This impacts both the branding on our
> 3.4 release, as well as the branding on our web sites, both of which
> are making strong progress.
>
> I think there are two main elements we need to decide on:
>
> 1) Product name:  Apache OpenOffice, Apache OpenOffice.org or something
> else
>
> 2) Logo, for use on website, product splash screen etc.
>
> I propose that we discuss these topics on the ooo-marketing for two
> weeks, until November 14th.  If there is consensus on these questions
> then we will go forward to implement that consensus.  But if there is
> no consensus by the 14th, then we will have a 72-hour vote of PPMC
> members to decide among the alternatives.
>
> Of course, it is better to reach consensus on such questions, but a
> product name is not optional, so we need to resolve these questions
> one way or another.
>
> Any objections to this general approach and time frame?
>
> -Rob

This seems quite sane and reasonable to me. Maybe we need to differentiate,
between "project name" vs "product name"? Or not...

Currently the "project" name is "Apache OpenOffice.org"

if one is to believe our main web page --

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

If, at some point, the "product" and "project" are to have the same name,
fine.

Just pointing this out.

MzK

"This is no social crisis