incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mailing list user migration: Staging and volunteers
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:04:30 GMT
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> A quick summary of where we are, in case you haven't been following
> >> the previous threads.
> >>
> >> Information on the top 100 legacy mailing lists is on the wiki [1].
> >> A draft note that will be sent to these lists is an another page [2].
> >>
> >> If you note in that first page, the "Migration Owner" column is blank.
> >>  So either I need to quickly learn French, Dutch and Japanese, or I
> >> need some help here.
> >>
> >> Volunteers would translate the note, send it to the relevant NL lists,
> >> and be available on those lists to answer any migration-related
> >> questions.  Ideally you would already be a participant on the lists
> >> and familiar to that community.
> >>
> >> As for staging, I'd recommend that we do not do this all at once.
> >> Migrating 100 lists at once would be very messy.  But we can easily
> >> break this down into related groups of lists and do the migration over
> >> a few weeks.  One possible staging would be:
> >>
> >> 1) All the lists that will be merged into the new ooo-marketing list.
> >> This will help jump start that lists important work, and bring
> >> community members into the discussion who might not have been
> >> interested in the other topics we've been discussing on ooo-dev.
> >>
> >> 2) All of the lists that will be merged into ooo-dev
> >>
> >> 3) All of the lists that will be merged into ooo-users
> >>
> >> 4) NL lists (which could be done in parallel with the above.  However,
> >> they will require some discussion and admin work to create new
> >> ooo-lang lists,)
> >>
> >> The thought behind this staging is that we "work out the kinks" with
> >> the more technical and (hopefully) more forgiving project lists,
> >> before moving on to the user and NL lists.  We can adjust the
> >> instructions and messaging based on what we learn from the initial
> >> migrations.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>

> > Have the "new" NL lists been setup already? I may have missed that and I
> > haven't look at any jira tix.
> >

> No NL lists yet, except for Japanese.  We need moderator volunteers
> before we can request them.
>
> Process for getting a new mailing list created is here:

> Probably makes sense to start with the largest NL communities first?
>

> >> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Mailing+lists
> >> [2]
> >>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Email+Migration+Post
> >>

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "This is no social crisis
> >  Just another tricky day for you."
> >                 -- "Tricky Day", the Who

OK. In terms of process, it's kind of a Catch-22 with the NL lists I guess.
We can't have them without moderators, and it's unlikely we'll get
(volunteer) moderators until we have them <sigh>. What to do...

The ones in the first block on:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Mailing+lists

through website.dev should be good for the initial message you've got. And,
I'm sure they're all English-speaking.

Where are you with any of this? Do you need some of us to do subscriptions
and get started? Maybe we could assign blocks from the first part of the
page above? I'm happy to help. I don't have a lot of time on a daily basis,
but could probably do at least 10 over the next few days. I would be happy
to deal with sc.dev thru website.dev.

I'll start on subscriptions to these pronto. IT might be a good idea if we
decided to do the messaging on the same day though. Thoughts.