incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Thiebaud <nthieb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:20:46 GMT
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> While I can certainly understand (in theory) trust issues from past OOo
> participants about the new AOOo PPMC, I must admit I don't understand the
> level of distrust I seem to see from some non-committers about the ASF as a
> whole.

I can only speak for myself, but, for better or worse, all I knew of
Apache, prior to last June, was that it was a popular Web server and
also home to a bunch of Java-related stuff.
Since then, I've developed the feeling that ASF is to OOo what ISO is
to OOXML: a well intentioned organization that is used/abused as a
weapon in a corporate turf war.

If I was a betting man, I would wager that, if anything, we will see a
multi-millions line code dump (or a bunch of non-bisectable commits)
from IBM that turn AOOo into a circa 2007 fork of OOo named Apache
Symphony. At that point we will see if ASF hold IBM to the same
standard than it held the Blusky podling.

Norbert