incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Thiebaud <nthieb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 04:14:37 GMT
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> I am pretty sure we are safe.

good, I have no stake in the old bugzilla content... so as long as you
are confident that all such stake-holder share Rob's interpretation of
what 'accepted, for incorporation' means (i.e that mere posting on a
ML or attachment to a bug repport means 'accepted, for
incorporation'... (I wonder why we bother with code review then, if
any patch submitted is deemed 'accepted, for incorporation')....

> - it is my understanding that Oracle will also be making
> legal provisions about the bugzilla database. They provided
> the dump, its not like we stole anything.
I haven't seen the secret SGA... but I don't recall mention by
Oracle's representative of a blanket re-licensing of the bugzilla
databse under AL2... or for that matter about anything but a list of
file based on a specific snapshot of the source tree.

>> > The problem is not really integrating the codebases
>> but the
>> > fact that the ownership of LO is so disperse and that
>> TDF
>> > is incapable of taking any relicensing decision.
>>
>> This is not a problem, this is a feature.
>
> It is a limitation. Only the copyright owner can make
> effective license claims so if the time comes to
> enforce the LGPL you will find the surprise of owning
> less than 10% the code doesn't help much.

That is much more than 0% which is what both SUN/Oracle CLA and AL2
effectively offer.
It is interesting though that you think that one need to 'own' more
than 800K lines of LO code before having standing.
Oh, and you are overlooking one option: it is quite possible to
designate an entity as your agent in these matter. so a bunch 'small'
copyright owner could mandate TDF, for example, to represent them.

> Well I use FreeBSD and I am very glad to have helped Apple
> overthrow Microsoft.
We are not quite there yet... but in anycase this is 'meet the new
boss, same as the old boss'.

> out there underestimate the resources SUN/Oracle put
> into OpenOffice.

Ask Rob how much IBM bill internally for translation on a per-word
basis. Then calculate the investment for OpenOffice for 100+
languages... and you'll get an idea why Rob is so interested in
Pootle.
It seems that IBM, contrary to you, is very aware of the resource
invested by the community.

Norbert