incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 21:18:18 GMT
2011/10/5 Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@openoffice.org>

> On 04/10/2011 23:58 RGB ES wrote:
>
>> I can see a big problem coming: with every single Linux distro using LibO
>> for the foreseeable future and considering the fact that nobody will build
>> OOo at home (specially on windows), if, say, next year somebody install
>> OOo
>> 3.4 that will be for sure an Apache build.
>>

> I think that, when a new version of OpenOffice.org is released, most
> distributions will make OpenOffice.org available again in their
> repositories.

I'm not that optimist, sorry. As a matter of fact, I do not know a single
Linux distribution that ever distributed a vanilla OOo: since many years
Linux distributions used go-oo, and even that was heavily patched in many
cases.
Even now, with LibO delivering almost all the patches introduced by go-oo,
main Linux distros *patch LibO* in order to "add more features"... just look
at the terrible KDE4 "integration" offered by openSUSE.
Thanks to projects like the build service, maybe some users will start
personal repositories with OOo builds, but I'll not hold my breath until a
main Linux distro starts distributing OOo.
If an AOOo 3.4 binary is ever available for Linux, it will be because it was
built by Apache and offered on the AOO site.