incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 21:58:59 GMT
2011/10/4 Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>

> Am 04.10.2011 17:27, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > The GStreamer avmedia plugin is disabled when copyleft is disabled (the
> > default in AOOo).
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/configure.in?view=markup#l1248
> > I cannot understand why this is treated as copy-left code. The plugin
> > was developed by Oracle and is on the software grant; building it only
> > requires system headers and linking against system libraries.
> > In this sense, the code is just like the VCL GTK and KDE plugins, and the
> GTK
> > and KDE file pickers... these are not disabled as copy-left code.
> >
> > So, is this code copy-left code? Does building and shipping the pulgin
> > break some Apache licensing rule?
> >
> > Regards
>
> The GStreamer integration doesn't make sense without GStreamer - so we
> shouldn't build it when no GStreamer libs are available.
>
> We decided that configure without switches should be the default Apache
> build. OTOH we didn't agree on linking against lgpl libraries in the
> system in this default build, so I disabled GStreamer by default (as
> well as some other copyleft components - there is no difference in that
> regard between GStreamer and hunspell!). This is an open question that
> IIRC I already asked here on that list (at least I wanted to do that ;-)).
>
> If we decided that linking against LGPL libs installed in the local
> system is OK for a "vanilla Apache" build, we could enable e.g.
> GStreamer on Linux again, but then we also could enable Hunspell and the
> other stuff that are disabled when "copyleft" stuff isn't enabled
> explicitly. Until then you have to use "--with-system..." switches to
> enable these copyleft components. If that doesn't work - you have found
> a bug. :-)
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Regards,
> Mathias

Sorry for jumping into the discussion ;)
I can see a big problem coming: with every single Linux distro using LibO
for the foreseeable future and considering the fact that nobody will build
OOo at home (specially on windows), if, say, next year somebody install OOo
3.4 that will be for sure an Apache build. But if that Apache build is
compiled with no switches, that will mean that every person downloading and
installing OOo 3.4 will find an office suite not only without multimedia
support, but also without spell checker!
IMHO, that will be a very, very bad move that will create tons of negative
reactions.
I'm just a plain user so I do have any idea how to solve this problem, but I
believe a discussion about this issue should be a priority.
Regards
Ricardo