incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Manfred A. Reiter" <ma.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to handle the native language lists?
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:16:22 GMT
Hi Rob, Kazunari-san, Marcus, *

2011/10/22 Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>

> Am 10/22/2011 02:33 AM, schrieb Kazunari Hirano:
>>
>> Hi Rob and all,
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> So these are user lists.  Will we want language-specific translation
>>> and localization lists at some point?  That is why I thought it would
>>> make sense to have "user" in the name.  So then in the future we can
>>> have, e..g., ooo-translate-de, etc., if needed.

sounds great for me ;-)

>> You are right!
>>
>> How about letting them discuss on what kind of native language lists
>> they would like to have in the future in their general native language
>> list like ooo-general-ja@incubator.apache.org ?
>> :)
>>
>> May I propose a way to create a native language list?
>> :)
>> In general we create a native language list if requested and as requested.
>> ("oo" means an ISO language code)
>> 1. First someone should propose ooo-general-oo@incubator.apache.org at
>> ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
>> 2. Once created, in ooo-general-oo@incubator.apache.org they will
>> discuss in their language about additional lists for their language.
>> 3. They discuss on names of lists etc. then they propose additional
>> lists for their language like ooo-users-oo@incubator.apache.org,
>> ooo-translate-oo@incubator.apache.org and more.
>>
>> "Let them discuss what they need in their language" the best way, I think.
>> :)

Yes, but that are decisions in the future, after first AOOo release, and when
the community is growing ;-)

> Wouldn't this also mean "tell us which MLs you need additionally and we (the PPMC) will
> create them."

no, that doesn't mean that at all.

> Finally, this will lead to the same ML structure like in the old OOo project. And this
is the point we want to avoid with a new ML handling, right?

A user-list at this time is probably uncontroversial and general-list as well,
Of course, this general ML must have a very strong link to
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org.
Decisions are made only her on  ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org.

> So, I'm OK with creating one new ML for other languages but we should be careful with
creating > additional ones.

Yes, we should only create these lists, if we have the moderators, as
Rob proposed in his first email.

and BTW Marcus, if it should be ONE user-list for pt-br and pt-pt should be
a decision of the native speakers we have just here with us. ;-)

M.