incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Foundation blog posting on Apache OOo
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:32:22 GMT
On Oct 14, 2011 7:28 PM, "Jim Jagielski" <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> My only wish is that we had someone at the conference who
> was supportive of the ASF and the AOOo podling in this
> matter who was able to explain this in a positive light…

Well, Doug Heintzman and I are sitting together here and both willing to
pass on Apache's goodwill. All we really need is a statement saying "that PR
wasn't an attack, sorry if it seemed that way".  Here's Doug to explain:

"Hi Jim this is Doug Heintzman here (IBM).  We are actually having some very
good constructive conversations here.  We did about a 3 hour dialogue with a
very large group on the OpenOffice project and its status, aspirations and
opportunities for cooperation, which the LibreOffice conference graciously
put on their agenda along with presentations from other AOOo participants.
It went very well and was well received.  I am hopeful that we're making
good progress towards a construtive detente.

The question that Simon is asking is simple.  Some have read the "best
wishes to TDF and LibreOffice" as being sarcastic and mean spirited.  I
certainly didn't read it that way.  The issue seems to be that the paragraph
expressing this wish was within the flow of a different story about people
not giving AOOo its due.

All that he was asking was for an official clarification that you were being
sincere and not sarcastic because of course sarcasm isn't going to help the
politics.  I assume the blog was on the up and up and am representing it as
such.  Hope you can clarify..."

Greetings from Paris from us both :-)

S.