incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Status of migration of OOo domains?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:08:35 GMT
Dennis,

On Oct 11, 2011, at 4:18 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Dave, can you say more about what the OO.o staging server would hold? I might be thinking
of something related, but not sure.

At the start it holds the static content with each "project" including downloads.

> Is the idea to have a server ready with the static comment so the domain could be switched
to it, and the non-static services switched in by then also.

Essentially. We would convert, rebrand, and adjust the site completely in parallel. If tweaks
are needed to the existing openoffice.org that is other work.

In staging we have

ooo-site.apache.org = www.openoffice.org
ooo-site.apache.org/downloads = downloads.openoffice.org

Once that is built we should all agree it is ready for cutover.

One detail that will need to be determined is the proper svn tree and configuration for mapping
of DNS subdomains like downloads.openoffice.org.

> I was thinking dynamic properties might be swapped in on the live OO.o site and then
they would still be spliced in when the static change-over happens.  What is your thinking?

The OOo domain as served by Oracle is essentially an overlay of two domains.

*.openoffice.org and *.services.openoffice.org

I guess that Apache will be flatter. At any rate it would be easier to have the DNS in Apache
Infras control.

Then each can be flipped by changing the IP address on a case by case basis.

Note that ooo-site.apache.org is named like ooo-wiki.apache.org

I suppose that these staging versions could become the real versions with the ooo-*.apache.org
domain name as an alias to the *.openoffice.org or *.services.openoffice.org name. Maybe on
a case by case basis, I think that is Infras business.

> I suppose part of what I mean by staging is both the places for stages and also the choreography
that has the migration be as unnoticeable as possible.

> [Still thinking how to describe this so that those interested can help reality-test it
and also do some contingency planning and triage as needed.]

> - Dennis
>
> (In my frightful moments, I think of this as disaster-recovery on a still-living complex
site.  Sort of like open-heart surgery, kidney transplant, and chemo all at once, in the dark.)

Migration is tricky.

Regards,
Dave

don't know if he has access to the site template.

> If Apache Infra makes progress on the JIRA issues I mentioned then I think that we can
gain traction on moving the openoffice.org static website very soon. I'll flesh out a proposal
on the CWiki in the next few days based on the various content we have accumulated.

>> However, there does need to be some lofting around what is a roadmap here, and
>> how does the existing live site be staged (and users informed) for transition
>> of the properties under OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> I'm thinking on it.  I am trusting that others with their hands on the knobs
>> and dials will also speak up on what they can do by way of preparation for
>> staging, and then staging.
>
> One of the JIRA issues was for a staging server for www.openoffice.org. If that is present
MANY hands are enabled as the Apache CMS will work directly on the site.