incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Migration Status Page
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:59:14 GMT

On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Maybe it would be good to think of three progressions:
>>
>> 1) Migration - moved to ASF or retired.
>> 2) Administration - with sysadmins / moderation in place.
>> 3) Integration - with proper links, navigation and urls. Also branding and legal
stuff.

>> BZ may still need 2) and 3)
>>

> BZ was done enough for Dennis to send out an announcement to the users
> list on Sept 3rd.   We're using it now.  Could it be prettier?  Sure.
> But it has been migrated and the new instance is being used and the
> old one is not.  Something doesn't become unmigrated just because it
> could use more help pages.
>
> So for a high level status I think this is fine. It points users in
> the right direction.  If we fill it up with buts and caveats and
> exceptions, then it will not serve its purpose as a high level
> overview.

I think that the migration status page is great and serves its purpose well.

I was arguing for further and separate considerations and indicating that Dennis's BZ concerns
belong in one of those post-migration steps.

2) Administration - making sure we have people who can do admin tasks (like David McKay aka
"The Gurka")

We should have a page on the wiki for this information.

3) Integration - this speaks to issues that cross over between different infrastructure components.
Due to the nature of the migration stuff comes out unevenly. The lead up forms on www.openoffice.org
to the bugzilla are an example.

BZ is fine for these, but either Wiki should be good as well.

4) Branding and Terms of Use - probably these are separate from Integration issues. This is
more about whether or not the PPMC has properly cleared with Apache trademarks and legal.
Really a post migration step.

Regards,
Dave

> -Rob
>

>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:30 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

>>> Um, I think there is a lot of how to submit a bug, how to find bugzilla information
on OO.o that will need to be cleaned up still.