incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:48:43 GMT
Hi Rob,

This is excellent.

On Oct 20, 2011, at 7:57 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Andrea Pescetti
> <pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I would turn the post you describe into a warning that the mailing list
>> address will change, including all information about Apache but not
>> requiring users to take action. I volunteer to consolidate the 12 lists into
>> 3 and to subscribe users to the right ones (of course, being "project owner"
>> of it.openoffice.org, I have a list of all subscribers to the 12 lists).
>>

> I did an experiment on how we can subscribe users to the mailing list
> automatically.  I looked just at the technical aspect of this.  I did
> not look at the legal or policy implications.

I'm not a lawyer, but if a user has to approve the new subscription that may be enough to
meet even the highest privacy requirements.

Next steps if we were to proceed:

(1) Getting the emails from Oracle.

that address. If we had that email map even if scrubbed of the name then we can apply that
transformation as well.

The subscribe email sent would then use the personal email.

The list of OOo emails would be useful for sending warnings that these "vanity" ids are going
away.

It would be great to have a single message about the OOo MX transition.

Of note, securityteam@oo.o is being kept. Are there other community MLs on OOo that should
be kept? That's part of your inventory ;-)

Regards,
Dave