incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Can we close the old mercury servers?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:22:28 GMT

On Oct 14, 2011, at 10:16 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 14, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> I think we should be redirecting common legacy URLs to their new
>>> counterpoints rather than simply closing or deleting things.
>>> Otherwise someone, like the commenter, will not just think the code
>>> has not been touched in 6 months.  They will think that the code is
>>> unavailable entirely.  The issue is external links into the project,
>>> including links from the Google search index.  You deal with that with
>>> HTTP redirection.
>>
>> Not an option until we have control of the DNS.
>>

> Exactly.  Once that happens, we could do something like redirect all
> requests to */openoffice.org/* addresses back to existing Oracle
> servers, except for specific URL's that we redirect to Apache pages.
> As we migrate things we redirect more and more to Apache.  We may have
> dozens of such redirection defined.
>
> What is required to make this happen, at least the first step where
> Apache gets the initial HTTP requests and does the redirects to the
> existing servers?  Do we need anything from Oracle?

There was am email on ooo-private from Joe.

Essentially. Apache Infra has to create the zone file for openoffice.org, the domain registrations
need to be transferred and then Apache's authoritative servers take over the DNS.

This is the INFRA-3898 ticket.

BTW - Shane sent a large set of additional domains that we should review. He did this about
6 weeks ago (IIRC)

Regards,
Dave