incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:29:45 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On Oct 25, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> I am not in the PPMC specifically to avoid participating in this type of
> discussions, but I have to say this, just IMHO:

I appreciate your decision to focus on the code. Project management keeps pulling me away
from code ... for too many years.

> I fail to understand why the ASF is not considered neutral, deep
> inside I think the reason is simply because this year we got a bigger
> toy in our Christmas tree that they wanted. Hope I am wrong.

Michael Meeks and Florian have been explicit today that openoffice.org as a destination is
not considered neutral by the TDF.

I haven't explicitly asked if an apache.org address is not sufficiently neutral ... I suspect
not.

I think about this as a branding decision by TDF about LO and not our business.

> We owe to our millions of users out there to maintain our own security
> channels and we cannot delegate them to a third party. Looking for
> an unrelated domain to handle our issues is like giving your children
> to your neighbors so they educate them "impartially".

There should be no doubt that ooo-security@i.a.o will remain as the project's security list.

If there is a meta-list for security for all of the peers in the OOo / LO and the rest community.
This is some confederation that shares security issues in a private manner between peers.
The peers have the mutual interest of their communities in mind.

> If there is no interest in bringing the code bases together I think there
> Is not much to gain on a shared security list on the long run.

There is a need for co-operation regardless of the code divergence. The code will retain significant
commonality. The ODF format is a standard. There will be common security issues.

One could argue that the such co-operative lists should include all of the Microsoft Office
community as well. Both LO and OOo implement OOXML and the binary MS Office formats. I won't
because I suspect that it is a bridge too far.

Regards,
Dave