incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:26:47 GMT

On Oct 25, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Dave Fisher <> wrote:
>> Agreed. We need to pick a neutral domain name. is
>> apparently free.
>> Some institution needs to buy domain registration. I've been the volunteer
>> registrar for a social groups domain, it is a pain to transition. This needs
>> to be an institution, it could be Team OOo?
> I think they are too close to the matter.  SPI exists specifically to hold
> assets in trust - perhaps they would hold the registration for us all?  If
> we agree I'd be happy to volunteer to contact them.
> It's also possible we could ask OSI to do it - Jim Jagielski and I are both
> on the Board at present.

These are both interesting ideas.

>> An ISP for hosting the private ML needs to be selected. Dennis suggests
>> that the ASF could be that ISP for free.

<slight snip/>

On Oct 25, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> If we basically agree that such a list as outlined by me is a way to go, I am happy to
ask a friend of mine who has a very good reputation in being a mail server, mailing list and
security expert, with a very good track record, including all sorts of certifications. He
is offering e-mail services as business.
> I just don't want to spread the name publically without asking him first, and I don't
want to ask him, before we have some common understanding. :-)

>> securityteam@oo.o is migrated to whatever the new list is, and those
>> people start administrating.
>> I think it is very important for the public to know who all of the projects
>> are on the shared ML.
>> Are we done already :-)

Let's let the world revolve to see if we have some Consensus.

>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>> That is fair to anyone, does not exclude anyone, does not benefit one
>>> over the other -- it's easy, simple, and the best way to go. Sure,
>>> everyone can create own aliases pointing to that list, but the core is
>>> the same, and that's what matters.
>>> If you folks now start complaining about we don't trust Apache, we can
>>> answer by complaining you don't trust TDF and so on. It's a horrible
>>> waste of time, it's lame, it does not help anyone, and it makes me doubt
>>> we're talking amongst adults, seriously.
>>> And, really, all this crap being tossed around about trustworthiness,
>>> upstream, downstream, code similarities and insults is worth not even
>>> the digital paper it's written on.
>>> I made a simple, plain, and easy proposal. Don't make things overly
>>> complicated, folks.
>>> Thanks for considering,
>>> Florian
>>> --
>>> Florian Effenberger <>
>>> Steering Committee and Founding Member of The Document Foundation
>>> Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
>>> Skype: floeff | Twitter/ @floeff
> --
> Simon Phipps
> +1 415 683 7660 :