incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Danese Cooper <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: We're on slashdot!
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:26:20 GMT

On Oct 14, 2011, at 1:04 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> I've read through the German materials at the site and, while Google Translator does
stumble, the gist of it is pretty clear.  This has all the appearance of an over-the-top plea
to fund 4 guys to save OpenOffice.org from death-by-abandonment.  To further the confusion,
the download link for OpenOffice.org 3.3 is into <http://download.openoffice.org>.
The "Thank you for your contribution" after a Paypal donation (they have my 5 Euro) is also
a page on http://openoffice.org.

> Is it even four guys?  They list five title-related email addresses
> and give the same phone number five times.  If I didn't know Team OO
> existed before now I'd wonder if someone had just built a site from
> random images.

Team OpenOffice.org is a German non-profit started by some people in the Hamburg office back
when OO.o was newly open-sourced to collect and handle monies to support community events.
Sun employees started it "extra" to their day jobs, and many sources sent it money (including
individuals and companies such as IBM). Sun didn't want to collect / handle such donations
directly, and the Hamburg guys needed a way to pay for conferences, etc. Much if their dispersement
has historically been to individual community members in support of travel to OOo conferences.

Team OpenOffice.org did undertake and secure the global registration of the OpenOffice.org
trademark because Sun was initially content to leave it unregistered since first use in the
US provides some protection, but after Team OpenOffice.org secured the mark legally they were
asked to transfer it to Sun and did so...they were all Sun employees afterall.

"They" are currently five of the engineers who have been working on OpenOffice for much of
their lives (20+ years in more than one case). This code is their baby, and for better or
worse they wish to continue to produce a product the way they think it should be done. They
have expressed interest in seeing AOO.o become a viable upstream.

I think what's happening now is reporters trying to make sense of a complicated story with
many factions. It probably isn't a coincidence that LibreOffice Con is this weekend and "we're
the real deal" messaging is coming from LO and TOOo is concerned about dilution of the OOo
brand...

My $.02
Danese