incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Staging OOo Site: Bugs and Improvements
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:41:46 GMT

On 10/31/2011 03:15 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

above the blue bar.

The solicitations are for the "oooES" PayPal account.

>>> i think it's very confusing to have this individual donation
>>> places and i would remove them all. Furthermore i would suggest
>>> that we really rethink our portal "www.openoffice.org" in the
>>> near future. I don't see the necessity of having too much
>>> different content on the localized pages. A 1:1 translation of
>>> the English pages should be ok for all. Maybe each regional page
>>> can have their own news feed to announce local events but that's
>>> it. We should keep it simple.
>>>

>> Yes, this is a good idea...IMO.
>>

>>> All the community work and information specific to regional
>>> communities should move into the wiki and forum from my point of
>>> view. Main development work and communication around this is done
>>> in English anyway.
>>>

>> This was discussed (somewhat) early on. I, like you, felt the N-L
>> communities might be better served by moving them to the wiki. But,
>> then the question was -- who should do this? Should anyone (else)
>> take ownership of these areas?
>
> Exactly the correct question. We need to have people from these
> communities appear and take "ownership" of their site. Once they do
> then we can suggest that the wiki is better and simple translations
> of the main OOo site content is best.
>
> My current approach is do the sites where interest is expressed or
> expected because we know people from that part of the community are
> present on ooo-dev.
>
> I'm doing the minimum to get each started. One reason I don't want BZ
> yet, particularly for these NL sites.

I understand completely. We are just really in the beginning stages of
what to with this legacy area and how to use it *now*. Maybe an
alternate [DISCUSS] thread or some more work vis a vis the wiki might be
in order. There is a LOT to deal with and really I feel that so many of
these comments and suggestions are really what I consider missing the
"big picture" at this place in time.

This is, a "staging" area after all.

I applaud your efforts and feel badly that a lot of what I had done
earlier had to be redone, but, well, I guess I was always anticipating a
LOT of clean-up before serious discussion.

> Regards, Dave
>

>>> And i don't think that this is similar to Team OpenOffice.org
>>> because Team OpenOffice.org was the only official instance that
>>> was allowed to collect donations from the OOo sites. All others
>>> were not allowed as far as i know. They were tolerated but not
>>> more. Don't ask me why, i have never understood this.
>>>
>>> well, that is my personal opinion
>>>
>>> Juergen
>>>

>> --

MzK