incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mailing list user migration: Staging and volunteers
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:39:40 GMT

On 10/27/2011 03:56 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> OK. In terms of process, it's kind of a Catch-22 with the NL lists I guess.
>>> We can't have them without moderators, and it's unlikely we'll get
>>> (volunteer) moderators until we have them<sigh>. What to do...
>>>

> If I had any fluency with another language, I'd do something like this:
>
> 1) Do an introductory post to the mailing list.  This would be a
> variation on the one on the wiki, talking about the incubation
> project, the overall migration and the mailing list migration
> specifically.  But don't give any mailing list sign up information
> yet.
>
> 2) Say that the options are:  A) subscribe to one of the the
> English-language lists, or B) if there is sufficient interest, propose
> the creation of a new NL list at Apache.
>
> 3) See how that discussion goes.  If there is strong interest, and you
> can get 2 or 3 volunteers to moderate then you should go ahead and
> propose the list on ooo-dev.    I'd use the historic activity on the
> legacy  list as an indication of whether this would work.
>
> 4) Once the list is created, then follow up with the information on
> how to subscribe to the list.
>
> I'm very open to having user lists for NL communities where we have
> user interest.  But I'm less certain about dev and other
> project-related lists in other languages.  We need to avoid
> fragmentation in the core project work.

This will have to wait, I think. I'm not fluent in any languages but
English, and I don't trust online translation. I think Alexandro C is a
member of the N-L project. I'll see if he wants to help in some way.

>>> The ones in the first block on:
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Mailing+lists
>>>
>>> through website.dev should be good for the initial message you've got. And,
>>> I'm sure they're all English-speaking.
>>>

> Right.  I did the marketing related ones, showing them how to
> subscribe too oo-marketing.
>
>>> Where are you with any of this? Do you need some of us to do subscriptions
>>> and get started? Maybe we could assign blocks from the first part of the
>>> page above? I'm happy to help. I don't have a lot of time on a daily basis,
>>> but could probably do at least 10 over the next few days. I would be happy
>>> to deal with sc.dev thru website.dev.
>>>
>>> I'll start on subscriptions to these pronto. IT might be a good idea if we
>>> decided to do the messaging on the same day though. Thoughts.
>>>

> I don't think we necessarily need to coordinate the dates of
> notifications.  But if you are sending a note to a large list, maybe
> give a warning on ooo-dev so we can help out on that list with user
> questions or problems with subscribing.
>

>>> I took ownership of the ones I'm working on. I hope to get notifications
>> sent tomorrow to most, or by Sunday pm at the latest.
>>

> Thanks.  I see you signed up for the lists that will go to ooo-dev.
> That should go smoothly, since they are more technical and will not
> have trouble with signing up for the lists.

Yep! working on these this weekend. Sent out one little test message
yesterday, and TJ (on dev@infrastrucure..) replied back with a nice idea
-- have the reply-to just go directly to the new list subscription. I
may change wording again in the alternate template I set up to speed
things along.