incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:12:33 GMT
Am 10/27/2011 11:36 AM, schrieb Gavin McDonald:

> [...]

If you see this like black and white then I can do this, too:

If we don't get the support that AOO needs then we can outsource the
download easily. EOD

(yes, this wasn't meant seriously)

It's sad that you brush it simply aside without to see the chance to at
least try to improve things.

Why OOo is special:

- over 70 committers (more than 10x of other projects, right ?)
- several millons of code lines
- over 70 supported languages
- 4 supported CPU architectures
- 4 supported operating systems
- OOo 3.3 consists of ~1.000 files with ~70 GB
- in the peak with 300,000 downloads per day

With these short facts IMHO everybody should be able to see that this is
not just another project and that it needs special treatment when needed.

Even when we won't get back the download numbers in the middle run due
to the long silence of the last months and reduce the number by lets say
50% we would be still by far the largest ASF project.

But you are right ...

> That said, let us get these other migrations done and we can see how/if the
> previous releases can be integrated.

... currently we have indeed other more important road works on the plan.

Marcus