incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 00:22:09 GMT
Am 10/27/2011 02:03 AM, schrieb Ross Gardler:
> On Oct 27, 2011 12:37 AM, "Marcus (OOo)"<>  wrote:
>> Am 10/26/2011 11:57 PM, schrieb Peter Pöml:
>>> Setting up MirrorBrain would be one way, but it would require
>>> replication additional configuration (for instance, download statistics)
>>> that we have built on the current download server
>>> (
>>> Another way would be to simply have a virtual machine, where we move the
>>> current server to. That would cause the least effort, I guess.
>> +1 this should be really our goal for now ...
>>> Starting from scratch would mean to lose a lot of the previos work --
>>> and I really mean lots, which I dare to judge because I spent a lot of
>>> time with
>>> On the other hand, having MirrorBrain at the core of the ASF's mirror
>>> system could be interesting for other projects, too. I know closer.cgi
>>> but I'm sure that MirrorBrain could serve the ASF well. (Well possible
>>> as an addition, rather than a replacement, for a soft transition.)
>>> That might outweigh the pain of creating OOo's download service from
>>> scratch in a different environment.
>> ... and this the long term goal.
>> The ASF can really benefit from this way of downloading software.
> Currently you have to choose a mirror, then change to the directory
> structure where the respective binary is located and finally download it.
> This is not correct. I have no idea if the ASF can benefit from MirrorBrain
> or not, but if your justification for such a statement is based on the above
> erroneous analysis of the current mirror system then I have my concerns. I

OK, thats what I've done to come to my point:
- browse to ""
- click on "Download" top right
- choose a mirror
- change to the dir structure to your file
- now download

Is there an easier way to get software?

> don't want to discuss it now since you indicate this is a long term goal
> (search this lists archives if you want to read more on the ASF mirror
> system before bringing this to the infra team).

Of course, first we need to clean our own home before our village is
next. ;-)

View raw message