incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:27:00 GMT
Am 10/27/2011 12:43 AM, schrieb Donald Whytock:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Peter Pöml<peter@poeml.de>  wrote:
>> The page should list all essential requirements.
>>
>>> http://mirrorbrain.org/requirements/
>
> Does MirrorBrain allow downloaders to specify the mirror they want to
> use?  I didn't see that as a feature.
>
> This is necessary for people operating behind firewalls that block
> websites based on type.  For example, my company's firewall doesn't
> allow access to many filesharing sites and certain types of
> businesses, but does allow access to universities.  This means when I
> get an update for an Apache product I often need to manually select a
> university mirror.

I would say not directly but it's possible:

Example:
If you want to download the OOo 3.4 Beta you normally would download
from here for your favorite OS and language:
http://download.openoffice.org/all_beta.html

When the automatically chosen mirror is not suitable, then you can use
the "Details" webpage that MirrorBrain creates for every file to look
for other mirrors. E.g.:

http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/extended/3.4beta/

http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/extended/3.4beta/OOo-Dev_3.4beta_20110411_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.mirrorlist

It's not that obvious but IMHO simple enough.

But I guess even this could be more simplified. ;-)

Marcus