incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:13:29 GMT
On 24/10/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> - "IP cleared" milestone ...
>> This milestone would result in an OpenOffice.org missing a lot of important
>> features, but this milestone would be the basis regarding Apache's IP rules.
>> This milestone could be released according to the Apache rules.
>
> "Could" be released.  We can debate whether we would actually release
> this.

Right, if the first Apache release is missing important features that
used to be in OpenOffice.org 3.3 then it could be detrimental to the
project.

OpenOffice.org users are waiting for updates, and whatever you explain,
they will download and install the first Apache version and judge from
what they see. Ideally, they should be given a bugfixed 3.4-beta under
LGPL3 that would show the nice improvements done after OOo 3.3, but we
have already discussed this in other threads. If, on the contrary, the
first release is missing important functionality, it could easily
backfire and it's better not to expose users to it.

Regards,
   Andrea.