incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:48:02 GMT

On 10/26/2011 10:20 AM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Shane Curcuru<asf@shanecurcuru.org>  wrote:
>>
>> While I can certainly understand (in theory) trust issues from past OOo
>> participants about the new AOOo PPMC, I must admit I don't understand the
>> level of distrust I seem to see from some non-committers about the ASF as a
>> whole.
>>

> I can only speak for myself, but, for better or worse, all I knew of
> Apache, prior to last June, was that it was a popular Web server and
> also home to a bunch of Java-related stuff.
> Since then, I've developed the feeling that ASF is to OOo what ISO is
> to OOXML: a well intentioned organization that is used/abused as a
> weapon in a corporate turf war.
>
> If I was a betting man, I would wager that, if anything, we will see a
> multi-millions line code dump (or a bunch of non-bisectable commits)
> from IBM that turn AOOo into a circa 2007 fork of OOo named Apache
> Symphony. At that point we will see if ASF hold IBM to the same
> standard than it held the Blusky podling.
>
> Norbert

I'm sorry to hear you have such a poor feeling about the ASF.  I can
only mention the many, many ASF Members and Incubator PMC members who
don't work for IBM, and who should be reading the key requirement for
any podling to graduate:

   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community

In any case, these subjects are getting off topic for ooo-dev@, so we
should let the AOOo PPMC here figure out how it's going to publicize
ways to report security concerns to it.

- Shane