incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Mailing list user migration: Staging and volunteers
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:43:15 GMT

On 10/25/2011 2:43 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> A quick summary of where we are, in case you haven't been following
>>> the previous threads.
>>>
>>> Information on the top 100 legacy mailing lists is on the wiki [1].
>>> A draft note that will be sent to these lists is an another page [2].
>>>
>>> If you note in that first page, the "Migration Owner" column is blank.
>>>   So either I need to quickly learn French, Dutch and Japanese, or I
>>> need some help here.
>>>
>>> Volunteers would translate the note, send it to the relevant NL lists,
>>> and be available on those lists to answer any migration-related
>>> questions.  Ideally you would already be a participant on the lists
>>> and familiar to that community.
>>>
>>> As for staging, I'd recommend that we do not do this all at once.
>>> Migrating 100 lists at once would be very messy.  But we can easily
>>> break this down into related groups of lists and do the migration over
>>> a few weeks.  One possible staging would be:
>>>
>>> 1) All the lists that will be merged into the new ooo-marketing list.
>>> This will help jump start that lists important work, and bring
>>> community members into the discussion who might not have been
>>> interested in the other topics we've been discussing on ooo-dev.
>>>
>>> 2) All of the lists that will be merged into ooo-dev
>>>
>>> 3) All of the lists that will be merged into ooo-users
>>>
>>> 4) NL lists (which could be done in parallel with the above.  However,
>>> they will require some discussion and admin work to create new
>>> ooo-lang lists,)
>>>
>>> The thought behind this staging is that we "work out the kinks" with
>>> the more technical and (hopefully) more forgiving project lists,
>>> before moving on to the user and NL lists.  We can adjust the
>>> instructions and messaging based on what we learn from the initial
>>> migrations.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

>> Have the "new" NL lists been setup already? I may have missed that and I
>> haven't look at any jira tix.
>>
> No NL lists yet, except for Japanese.  We need moderator volunteers
> before we can request them.
>
> Process for getting a new mailing list created is here:

> Probably makes sense to start with the largest NL communities first?
Have we considered having a list for 'un-represented languages'?
If a user does not find their language, where do they go?  Posting to
the English list or ooo-dev in another language is frowned on.
This is a bootstrapping question.
Where can a community go to say that they exist, have a need, and would
like to create a list.

I understand we don't want to create dead lists, and don't want to
create a list that cannot be self sustainable,
but it seems like there is a gap here for bringing in new communities.

--

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group