incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Draft mailing list notification post
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:16:54 GMT
Am 10/25/2011 07:58 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> I wonder if this is too technically detailed.
>>
>> Since the recipient is a ML user that impact should be noted near the top.
>>
>> The information about what the ASF / podling process is all about should be at the
end.

> The feedback we received when we sent an earlier list migration note
> to the users and discuss list, after we initially set up ooo-users,
> was along the lines of "Who the hell are you and why is this the first
> we are hearing about the migration?".  That is why I put the
> introductory ASF stuff at the top, to put it in context.
>
> Of course, doing that could lead people to ignore the note, thinking
> there is nothing important in it.  So that's why I started by saying
> the note was important.  But I realize that that itself could increase
> the chance of the email being ignored,  since emails that say they are
> important rarely are.
>
> So how can we have both an good intro as well as get a high response rate?

There will be always a number of people that will not do what you (we)
would expect. So, we should try to make it best as possible. IMHO the
draft is that.

> Maybe split this into two emails, and space them a week apart?  So one
> email that is the intro, gives the background on the Incubation, the
> migration effort, etc.  Short and sweet.  They might actually read it.
>   Then follow a week later with "As we previously mentioned in our note
> last week....  We're starting the list migration now. To join the new
> list you will need to...."
>
> Would that be better?

Maybe. But then the first mail should contain something like "... today
we want to explain who we are, where the OOo project is going to and
what will happen with this ML in x days. A second mail will be sent with
more details and techncial stuff ...".

>> Information here to go to find out about AOOo release plans would be helpful. A wiki
page with updates.

> We have a release plan?   I suppose we can put a placeholder page.
>
>> A link to the ooo blog.
>>

> Good idea.

Yes, some more links for the normal user.

> Maybe also include on every post a link to the ooo-dev and ooo-users
> lists, since those are our main ones.

Marcus