incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:17:50 GMT
Am 10/25/2011 02:02 PM, schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> The problem is that the ASF do not want to host and provide services of
>> special software for single projects. I can understand this as even the ASF
>> infra is a team of volunteers and their time is limited as it is for all
>> others.
>
> I think this is a little open to misinterpretation. Hopefully a Mentor
> will jump in but (until they do) I'll do my best to explain a little
> bit more about the way infrastructure works here at Apache...
>
> The infrastructure team at Apache is an independent, volunteer-led
> self-organising community of experts. Apache delegates infrastructure
> to this community, and provides resources to sustain their work[1].
> When asking infrastructure for help, it's essential to remember this
> and engage with them as peers with special expertise. Anyone arriving
> with a solution or a request for a new service must expect to be
> challenged to defend and refine their choice of solution.

Thanks for the explaination. I thought it would be a kind of just
another project. But it's not.

> To move back to the particular, this is a migration issue. A valuable
> service is about to be closed and needs to be migrated. Whether this
> is right long term solution is open to debate but accepting a service
> for a temporary period doesn't raise the issues that committing to
> provide a similar service for all projects forever would. Please
> explain the problem to infrastructure and ask for their help to find a
> solution.

I know a service like MirrorBrain could be a high value of any Apache
project that provides file downloads, so it should be helpful for every
project.

As it is able keep the overview of all possible mirrors that offers
Apache aoftware there needs to be only a single instance and not per
project.

Let's see what to get until Friday. Otherwise he have to start again.

Marcus