incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: FAQ on patch contributions
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:44:29 GMT
Am 10/25/2011 04:31 PM, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:

> --- On Tue, 10/25/11, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>

>> Something we talked about a while
>> ago, but never did.  An FAQ on how
>> to submit a patch to the project.  Obviously, we have
>> many project
>> members who have figured this out.  But there may be
>> others who now or
>> in the future would benefit from a simple write up.
>>
>> I was thinking of taking as a base, this page from Apache
>> HTTP, "How
>> to Contribute Patches to Apache":
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/patches.html
>>

>> A few questions:
>>

>> 1) If someone uses the git bridge to the repository, does
>> "git diff"
>> produce a patch in the same format as "svn diff"?  In
>> other words, are
>> they compatible?
>>
>> 2) Do we have a strong preference for whether patches are
>> submitted to
>> the ooo-dev list or via Bugzilla?  Or are both
>> acceptable?
>>

> Both are acceptable and are covered by clause 5 of the
> AL2. I personally prefer bugzilla because the list
> sometimes filters patches.

+1

IMHO BZ seems to be the more logical part to "host" patches. Even when
knowing the famous sentence "If it doesn't happen on the list, ...". ;-)

When the Dev would write a short mail to the list with a link to the BZ
issue, it would be perfect.

>> 3) It is clear that someone submitting a patch to BZ does
>> so under
>> ALv2.  It is not so clear for patches on ooo-dev,
>> unless they state so
>> explicitly, right?
>>
> FWIW, bugzilla reminds ppl of the AL2 when you create
> an account. If you want to add a similar notice when
> people subscribe to the list thats OK, but I dont
> want the extra license noise in the lists to specify
> what should be obvious.
>
>> 4) Any other things we should mention?
>>
> To use the [patch] or [code] tag when sending
> patches.

Yes, would be helpful do differentiate right in the subject of mails.

Marcus