incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:01:16 GMT
Thank you Pedro for the very well thought out and politely presented
explanation of your point.  It's very helpful to have this kind of
honest and detailed discussion, especially when tempers run high, and
doubly so when there's such a clear (and unfortunate) distrust between
AOOo community members and folks working on TDF/LO.

Personally, I agree: the point is that if TDF/LO also encourages /
documents as an additional optional step / even simply allows in some
obvious public way for people submitting patches that could apply to
AOOo under both licenses, that would be a big win for the ecosystem.
AOOo code will already be fully useable by LO, so I find it hard to see
what the harm is in allowing TDF/LO contributors to know about the
option of dual licensing specific patches under the AL.

This is certainly not something aimed at hurting LO, and certainly
doesn't apply to new or changed work in LO.  But it would be nice to
discuss the possibility of having code that both projects can use
without getting everyone's hackles up.  Especially since the alternative
seems to be that Simon (I think) is saying he'd effectively rather see
everyone contributing code exclusively to one project, and explicitly
not allowing it to be contributed into the other.

This is exactly why I believe in the Apache license.  I believe that
*people* should be free.  Users of our Apache software should be free to
use it as they see fit.  If they contribute changes back, that's great -
but what's important for open source is that humans now have access to a
wealth of powerful software for free that they can use openly, easily,
and for their own purposes, without undue restrictions.

- Shane

P.S. and really, while the iCLA is a required step to become a committer
at Apache, it really shouldn't be such a large club to hit us over the
head repeatedly.  It's not needed for most patches like I thought we
were discussing here.