incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org - was: [proposal] development for the first AOO release
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 16:29:21 GMT
This is an issue that has stirred much emotion, and is one that has not
reached consensus.
Due to the requirement of having our official name be 'Apache
[something]', I believe the current consensus points towards one of the
following two options:

  * Apache OpenOffice.org
  * Apache OpenOffice

Both of these seem to satisfy both the 'Apache in name' requirement and
the 'Trademark available' requirement. (Apache and OpenOffice together
seem to get around issues with using OpenOffice without the .org on its
own)  Also, before the discussion of the branding and historical nature
of the importance of the '.org', I would suggest people look at mailing
list and forum posts from our users - on the whole, they rarely identify
the current product as OpenOffice.org.

Let's not try to make this decision in other threads.  Let's make this
decision in a thread about naming the project (and product).

Andrew

--

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group