incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <>
Subject Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:34:10 GMT
Am 10/24/2011 03:18 PM, schrieb Oliver-Rainer Wittmann:
> Hi,
> I would like to propose the following development milestones on our way
> to the first AOO release:
> - "IP cleared" milestone
> For this milestone we should remove all 3rd party components which are
> not compliant to Apache's "Third-Party Licensing Policy" [1]. All
> license headers in the source code files should be updated according to
> Oracle's SGA. Additionally, we may update certain information in the
> product in order to reflect that the product is now coming from Apache
> (e.g. the splash screen, the about dialog, ...).
> Then the IP review required by Apache could be performed in order to
> meet the corresponding requirements for our first release.
> This milestone would result in an missing a lot of
> important features, but this milestone would be the basis regarding
> Apache's IP rules. This milestone could be released according to the
> Apache rules.
> - "features back" milestone
> For this milestone we should work on bringing back the features which
> are lost in the previous milestone. I do not think that we have to bring
> back every feature for a first release. Thus, we would have got the
> possibility to work on the features which are of most interest. At some
> point we could create a "release candidate" and start working on
> stabilizing it for a first release, if we think that the "must have"
> features are back.
> In order to coordinate efforts and to avoid duplicate work I propose to
> use the IP clearance wiki page [2].
> The basis for its content is more or less the Apache Migration wiki page
> [3]. Some additional information has been collected on certain 3rd party
> components. Also priorities have been assigned. But its content is not
> "nailed in stone". It currently reflects more or less the input and
> opionions of the editing contributors to these IP clearance issues.
> Thus, it would be a living document to reflect our knowlegde about these
> IP clearance issues. It would also document our efforts and our
> decisions regarding these efforts.
> Any remarks/comments/improvements/adjustments?
> Any objections to follow such plan for our first release?

It's fine to see a kind of roadmap starting.

Also to have a first public intermediate step with a clean IP is great,
towards our first "real" Apache release. Then everybody can see that
it's really going forward with OOo (as often the feeling is the opposite
in the public when you read news and blogs).

And of course we have to make clear that this milestone is really just
an intermediate step and not what the most would expect.

When we do the rebranding stuff again (sick!) we should have a final
product name at hand at that time.

> P.S.: I will be out-of-office for the rest of the week. Thus, I will
> probably not reply to your input regarding my proposal this week -
> please excuse.
> [2]
> [3]

View raw message