incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [proposal] development for the first AOO release
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 13:18:41 GMT
Hi,

I would like to propose the following development milestones on our way
to the first AOO release:

- "IP cleared" milestone
For this milestone we should remove all 3rd party components which are
not compliant to Apache's "Third-Party Licensing Policy" [1]. All
license headers in the source code files should be updated according to
Oracle's SGA. Additionally, we may update certain information in the
product in order to reflect that the product is now coming from Apache
(e.g. the splash screen, the about dialog, ...).
Then the IP review required by Apache could be performed in order to
meet the corresponding requirements for our first release.
This milestone would result in an OpenOffice.org missing a lot of
important features, but this milestone would be the basis regarding
Apache's IP rules. This milestone could be released according to the
Apache rules.

- "features back" milestone
For this milestone we should work on bringing back the features which
are lost in the previous milestone. I do not think that we have to bring
back every feature for a first release. Thus, we would have got the
possibility to work on the features which are of most interest. At some
point we could create a "release candidate" and start working on
stabilizing it for a first release, if we think that the "must have"
features are back.

In order to coordinate efforts and to avoid duplicate work I propose to
use the IP clearance wiki page [2].
The basis for its content is more or less the Apache Migration wiki page
[3]. Some additional information has been collected on certain 3rd party
components. Also priorities have been assigned. But its content is not
"nailed in stone". It currently reflects more or less the input and
opionions of the editing contributors to these IP clearance issues.
Thus, it would be a living document to reflect our knowlegde about these
IP clearance issues. It would also document our efforts and our
decisions regarding these efforts.

Any remarks/comments/improvements/adjustments?
Any objections to follow such plan for our first release?

Best regards, Oliver.

P.S.: I will be out-of-office for the rest of the week. Thus, I will
probably not reply to your input regarding my proposal this week -
please excuse.