incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 01:08:45 GMT
Am 10/23/2011 11:50 PM, schrieb Peter Pöml:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 01:15:34 +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

Hi Peter,

>> it seems the end is near and the "download.services.openoffice.org"
>> host on Oracle side with our Mirrorbrain instance will be shutdown
>> in one week.
>
> Okay... Little question, wouldn't it make sense, at this point, to take
> the download.s.o.o VM and move it somewhere else? I don't have the disk
> space myself, but maybe somebody else has? Perhaps the ASF can provide
> the space? (Other than disk space, the requirements are pretty modest.)
> Then the entire download service could continue to run, with very low
> effort, and without the need to build everything from scratch for now.

The problem is that the ASF do not want to host and provide services of
special software for single projects. I can understand this as even the
ASF infra is a team of volunteers and their time is limited as it is for
all others.

Furthermore, I don't know details about the VM setup and where it's
detailed located. Do you?

However, I like your idea. It requires indeed only a bit diskspace and
internet access. The maintainance could be done by us, the project
members. If you would share a bit of your knowledge then I could
takeover the admin role. ;-)

@List:
Has anybody an idea about where to host this service? It doesn't need to
be necessarily inside the ASF.

>> As we cannot buildup a solution that is running, tested and
>> long-term-proven in a few days I would like to ask you if we can
>> switch to your "openoffice.mirrorbrain.org" instance as long as we
>> have no other solution at hand.
>>
>> In the past it was a very reliable host that we have used when there
>> were outages (mostly unplanned as you know) and doesn't resulted in
>> a significant higher load on the host.
>>
>> So, it would help us very much to have a stable download section
>> until we have an own solution here at ASF.
>
> Yes, please use my host for now!

Great, thanks a lot.

>> Thanks in advance and have a nice, sunny weekend.
>
> Thanks a lot. Same to you all,

Marcus