incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Disposition of *.services.oo.o
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:08:59 GMT
Am 10/22/2011 01:56 AM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 10/22/2011 01:37 AM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

>>> Yes, the complete download method rely on a working
>>> "download.services.oo.o" domain as here our Mirrorbrain instance is
>>> running to do the loadbalancing for download requests.
>>>
>>> As it wasn't accepted to bring this into the podling as another
>>> software service, we have to find another solution.
>>>
>>> 1) As short term solution we could switch to a system that we were
>>> allowed to use as backup for any outages we had at Sun/Oracle times.
>>>
>>> This system is running on "www.mirrorbrain.org" and is hosted and
>>> serviced by Peter Poeml. As long as the "download.openoffice.org"
>>> host is still working there shouldn't be bigger problems if we could
>>> use the backup system.
>>>
>>> I'll ask him if it's OK to rely this time a bit longer as long as we
>>> have not a long term solution (see other mail).
>>>
>>> 2) It seems to be time to connect to the ASF system to do software
>>> downloads. However, AFAIK we have the problem that the ASF is very
>>> likely not willing to host pre-ASF releases of OOo within their
>>> mirror network.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless we need to prepare our download webpages for the ASF
>>> method when we will have ready our first AOO release.
>>
>> It may be that we can use the ASF method of picking mirrors to select
>> from the current list of OOo mirrors.
>
> I've not yet tested which ASF mirrors already provide also OOo install
> sets. Or how to change the script, so that it accepts also other mirrors.
>
> And the "http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi" script has to be tweaked,
> so that it provides the suitable mirror *and* link to the OOo install
> set. Only a link to the closest mirror is not enough for end-users.
>
> A lot to do. However, for me this seems to be the long term solution.
>
> BTW:
> Here's the list of all OOo mirrors:
> http://download.services.openoffice.org/mirrors/all.html

There is another host inside the *.services.oo.o domain. It's working as
FTP master server for the complete mirror network. A few big mirrors
sync from this master server to keep up-to-date with the release builds.
All other mirrors are sync'ing from these few big ones.

I don't know exactly but it could happen that the release builds get
deleted because the master server is no longer reachable.

I'll send a message to the old distribution.mirrors@, so that all mirror
admins are warned that the master server will be shutdown and they
should make sure that the OOo directory tree doesn't get deleted when
the rsync job starts to fails next week.

Hopefully this will still reach enough mirror admins to keep the mirror
network stable somehow to satisfy future download requests.

Marcus