incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 05:30:28 GMT
On 10/21/2011 10:26 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> --- On Fri, 10/21/11, Rob Weir<>  wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM,
>> Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
>> <>
>> wrote:
>> contribute their changes to
>> foundation for
>> among the
>> duplication of efforts get
>> project/product to choose is not
>>> Are you aware of the number of changes that have
>> already been applied to the
>>> LibreOffice code base? It is very large. So, although
>> it seems like a
>>> realistic desire on the surface, it may be difficult
>> in practice. How long
>>> ago was the fork? Many people have spent significant
>> time making changes,
>>> and many of those changes depend on earlier changes.
>> It really is not that hard.  At IBM we have our own
>> fork of OOo called
>> Lotus Symphony.  We've made millions of lines of our
>> own changes, but
>> we still have merged in many patches from OOo.  It
>> requires some care,
>> but it is not rocket science.
>> -Rob
> And modern VCS helps a lot. I merged some fixes from bugzilla
> that may be shared, and they have taken a lot of code that
> they tagged as "contributed" by Oracle. As we continue
> merging CWSs some more similarities may appear.
> The problem is not really integrating the codebases but the
> fact that the ownership of LO is so disperse and that TDF
> is incapable of taking any relicensing decision.
> Just IMHO, of course.
> Pedro.
Well OK then.... I had expected their major refactoring effort to cause
problems. I have not followed it closely, but, every now and then I
trace through some of the patches just to see what they are doing.

Is it a problem if the two projects do not use a similar infrastructure
or build system? I assume that symphony and OOo did not use similar systems.

Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document:

View raw message