incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Disposition of *.services.oo.o
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 23:37:58 GMT
On 10/21/2011 18:48, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 10/21/2011 01:31 PM, TJ Frazier wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I want to be very sure about this, because I can and will post the
>> notices on the live wiki ...
>>
>> On 10/21/2011 14:35, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I had a conversation with Andrew Rist this morning. Here is what I
>>> have found out about what will happen in one week.
>>>
>>> (1) Forums and Mediawiki will be cloned and moved to Apache
>>> Infrastructure on top of the work that TerryE and the Apache Infra
>>> team accomplished. Andrew, Gavin and TJ will be doing the heavy
>>> lifting starting with some practice conversions.
>>>
>> I read this to mean that Infra has devised a way to support the live MW
>> wiki satisfactorily. YEA!! from me, too. Well done, guys. I will post
>> the outage notices Kay recommends as soon as I can, after confirmation.
>>
>> I have posted a "Salvage Plan" at
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Community+Wiki+Services
>>
>> but this is much better.
>
> I think what you've got here looks good as much as I know about MW,
> which isn't much.
>
> Q1: WILL user accounts be migrated or will folks need to re-sign?

There is no technical reason for needing to re-sign. In the absence of
direction from the PPMC, they won't need to.

When Terry created the test copy, he included a step to scramble the
existing passwords, thus making the wiki copy effectively read-only.
There is no technical need for this.

> Q2: If folks re-use existing user names, can they, in fact, get to the
> same info as before with the same rights? In other words, are the
> administrative aspects part of the "load" or must this be done some
> other way?

Briefly, yes. The admin rights are part of the load. As a "bureaucrat"
(wiki role) I can add or delete rights for anybody. I would expect to
get some direction from the PPMC on this, but I am assuming that the
ranks of administrators ("sysops" in popular parlance) and bureaucrats
should be winnowed of non-active members, which is most of them.

In theory, the PPMC could tell me to add a couple of new bureaucrats,
remove my own rights, and go back to being an ordinary user. Which I
could and would do, though I would recommend against it. --/tj/