incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Disposition of *.services.oo.o
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 23:16:08 GMT
Am 10/21/2011 08:35 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
> (2) downloads.services.oo.o goes away this needs attention. This is the major unknown.
>
> We do have a version of this page in the website migration. It is rather clean. I think
the page handles a missing mirror brain, but I don't know if it handles it well. The version
that was cleaned up is in the AOOo project svn in ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/.

Yes, the complete download method rely on a working
"download.services.oo.o" domain as here our Mirrorbrain instance is
running to do the loadbalancing for download requests.

As it wasn't accepted to bring this into the podling as another software
service, we have to find another solution.

1) As short term solution we could switch to a system that we were
allowed to use as backup for any outages we had at Sun/Oracle times.

This system is running on "www.mirrorbrain.org" and is hosted and
serviced by Peter Poeml. As long as the "download.openoffice.org" host
is still working there shouldn't be bigger problems if we could use the
backup system.

I'll ask him if it's OK to rely this time a bit longer as long as we
have not a long term solution (see other mail).

2) It seems to be time to connect to the ASF system to do software
downloads. However, AFAIK we have the problem that the ASF is very
likely not willing to host pre-ASF releases of OOo within their mirror
network.

Nevertheless we need to prepare our download webpages for the ASF method
when we will have ready our first AOO release.

Marcus