incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Disposition of *.services.oo.o
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 22:48:39 GMT

On 10/21/2011 01:31 PM, TJ Frazier wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I want to be very sure about this, because I can and will post the
> notices on the live wiki ...
>
> On 10/21/2011 14:35, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I had a conversation with Andrew Rist this morning. Here is what I
>> have found out about what will happen in one week.
>>
>> (1) Forums and Mediawiki will be cloned and moved to Apache
>> Infrastructure on top of the work that TerryE and the Apache Infra
>> team accomplished. Andrew, Gavin and TJ will be doing the heavy
>> lifting starting with some practice conversions.
>>
> I read this to mean that Infra has devised a way to support the live MW
> wiki satisfactorily. YEA!! from me, too. Well done, guys. I will post
> the outage notices Kay recommends as soon as I can, after confirmation.
>
> I have posted a "Salvage Plan" at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Community+Wiki+Services
> but this is much better.

I think what you've got here looks good as much as I know about MW,
which isn't much.

Q1: WILL user accounts be migrated or will folks need to re-sign?

Q2: If folks re-use existing user names, can they, in fact, get to the
same info as before with the same rights? In other words, are the
administrative aspects part of the "load" or must this be done some
other way?

>> Does Apache Infra plan to change dns resolution of user.services.oo.o
>> and wiki.services.oo.o to point to the ooo-forum.a.o and ooo-wiki.a.o
>> domain names as of this transition?
>>
>> (2) downloads.services.oo.o goes away this needs attention. This is
>> the major unknown.
>>
>> We do have a version of this page in the website migration. It is
>> rather clean. I think the page handles a missing mirror brain, but I
>> don't know if it handles it well. The version that was cleaned up is
>> in the AOOo project svn in ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/.
>>
>> (3) extensions.services.oo.o and templates.services.oo.o are hosted at
>> OSUOSL and will be retained. They still need work on Drupal upgrades,
>> the OSUOSL admins have turned their noisy Nagios checks off and we
>> have to report outages to support@osuosl.org ourselves. They are
>> usually responsive by the business day AM in US Pacific Time Zone.
>>
>> (4) All other *.services.oo.o are going away. If any of these are
>> important to you please recall that Andrew Rist has mentioned that he
>> does have a backup of everything. Please contact him about other
>> services, if you would like to resurrect them.
>>
>> (5) Some consideration will need to be made about changes needed to
>> the Kenai based www.openoffice.org due to the services change.
>>
>> These topics can't wait, but I don't have any more bandwidth for AOOo
>> until Sunday night or Monday.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
            -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39