incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Disposition of *.services.oo.o
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:38:43 GMT
Dave--

Thank you SO much for bringing all this to light...

On 10/21/2011 12:22 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I had a conversation with Andrew Rist this morning. Here is what
>>> I have found out about what will happen in one week.
>>>
>>> (1) Forums and Mediawiki will be cloned and moved to Apache
>>> Infrastructure on top of the work

YAY! Since the current incarnation is old-ish and work HAS continued on
the wiki.

  that TerryE and the Apache
>>> Infra team accomplished. Andrew, Gavin and TJ will be doing the
>>> heavy lifting starting with some practice conversions.

OK...I know you say you don't have any more time to deal with this now
but maybe someone else can chime in.  I don't remember what we're doign
about current user account? Do people need to re-up?

>>> Does Apache Infra plan to change dns resolution of
>>> user.services.oo.o and wiki.services.oo.o to point to the
>>> ooo-forum.a.o and ooo-wiki.a.o domain names as of this
>>> transition?

Well this would certainly be nice if we could...

>>> (2) downloads.services.oo.o goes away this needs attention. This
>>> is the major unknown.

Not my perview for sure...I'm copying Marcus on this one since he could
probably help out (maybe).

>>> We do have a version of this page in the website migration. It is
>>> rather clean. I think the page handles a missing mirror brain,
>>> but I don't know if it handles it well. The version that was
>>> cleaned up is in the AOOo project svn in
>>> ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/.
>>>
>>> (3) extensions.services.oo.o and templates.services.oo.o are
>>> hosted at OSUOSL and will be retained. They still need work on
>>> Drupal upgrades, the OSUOSL admins have turned their noisy Nagios
>>> checks off and we have to report outages to support@osuosl.org
>>> ourselves. They are usually responsive by the business day AM in
>>> US Pacific Time Zone.
>>>
>>> (4) All other *.services.oo.o are going away. If any of these are
>>> important to you please recall that Andrew Rist has mentioned
>>> that he does have a backup of everything. Please contact him
>>> about other services, if you would like to resurrect them.

>>> (5) Some consideration will need to be made about changes needed
>>> to the Kenai based www.openoffice.org due to the services
>>> change.

I can help with link changes on the main www site for areas I have
access to. What I think would be REALLY helpful right now -- today -- is
a posting on the main wiki and forums pages telling folks that there may
be outages starting next Friday am (GMT?) for up to a few days during
the transition. I can't do this but whoever can -- PLEASE take care of
this today! We don't want the press to go into yet another frenzy.

>> What is an example of a Kenai consideration?  Is the issue broken
>> links?  Or is there some other connection between Kenai and
>> *.services.oo.o we need to look at?
>
> Only if we want or need to change any pages to indicate that there
> are changes. Specifically I am concerned about downloads.oo.o which
> uses donwloads.services.oo.o.
>
> Regards, Dave
>

>>> These topics can't wait, but I don't have any more bandwidth for
>>> AOOo until Sunday night or Monday.
>>>
>>> Regards, Dave

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
            -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39