incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: How to handle the native language lists?
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:04:35 GMT
Am 10/20/2011 09:04 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> Proposal:
>
> 1) Create a single user-language list for each native language where
> there is an active user list today, and where we can identify three
> committed moderators, preferably at least one from the PMC.

Before this I would ask on all language-respective MLs if someone is
still at home and would like to come over to ASF; also because the OOo
MLs will be shutdown in x days. Even when the most requests will be in
English (as we cannot translate the text into all languages) we should
get feedback. So, as more people will respond it will justify a new ML.

> If there is currently a discuss list as well as a user list in that
> language, combine then into the user list.
>
> Currently, that would mean the creation of the following new lists
> (assuming we find moderators), like:
>
> ooo-users-de (German)
> ooo-users-fr (French)
> ooo-users-it (Italian)
> ooo-users-es (Spanish)
> ooo-users-br-pt (Brazilian Portuguese) (or can we generalize this to
> pt in general?)

Yes, lets start with a common ML.

> ooo-nl (Dutch)
> ooo-ja (Japanese)

Do you mean a different one as we have already a "ja" one?

> There may be other language we want to cover as well.    The list
> above is intended to illustrative, not exclusive.  The important thing
> is that when dealing with users, we need to meet them on their terms,
> not ours.  The request for at least three moderators is because a user
> list needs more than just spam protection.  We need moderators
> committed to actively participate on those lists.  A user list that
> has been abandoned is very bad for the image of the project.  Since
> the PPMC cannot easily monitor what is happening on a non-English
> mailing list, we will need to have high confidence that there are
> sufficient volunteers on the list to make it succeed.

IMHO we should still wait for a number of users and interested people of
a specific language. Otherwise we have some MLs but no people.

For example, many weeks ago I've seen a request to create a German ML
but after that no more support and therefor the request is dead.
However, until today I don't see sorrow about this.

> 2) For project-related (as opposed to user-related) lists, align them
> with the closest existing AOOo list.
>
> For example:
>
> de.business -->  ooo-marketing
> nl.marketing -->  ooo-marketing
> fr.dev -->  ooo-dev
>
> and so on.   We're a single Apache project with a single product.
> Although there may be local marketing efforts, there should be a
> single marketing conversation.  Ditto for other aspects of the
> project.
>
> The net result will be take 300+ existing OOo mailing lists and map
> them to a much smaller number of AOOo mailing lists, maybe a dozen
> total in the end.  This will require understanding and good will from
> all.  Non-native English speakers and native speakers will need to
> adjust how they interact, and in general be more understanding.
>
> So that's my proposal.  I have my asbestos underwear on.  Feel free to
> start the flaming,

Ahm, you know that asbestos is cancer-causing? I would recomment to
change to Teflon-coated underwear (should be comfortable up to 327 °C
resp. 620 °F). Otherwise cancer is not far away. :-P

SCNR

Marcus